Music Banter - View Single Post - El-p
Thread: El-p
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #68 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
I bet the thing you like most about that song is the synth work though, and it is good.
But it's hard for me to appreciate Necro because he seems to have jumped on 1) big brother's success and 2) shock value. To me he sounds like an intellectually stunted (stupid) version of Ill Bill with a higher, reedier, more monotone voice.
The synth work? No. What I like most is the interplay between the horror movie string loops and his rapping.

I can totally understand why you'd think of him as stupid, monotone and deliberately shocking because that's exactly how I felt when I first listened to him. But the weird thing for me was, even though I thought that, I realized I kept wanting to listen to him. After a while I started to perceive him as something like the aural equivalent of a Troma movie and realized he actually seemed to be a pretty bright guy simply playing the role of a dumb guy. His lyrics, though never particularly deep, are actually surprisingly articulate and erudite, in a Troma-ish way, and he consistently surprises me with what he samples—stuff you'd think would be outside his frame of reference, like Ani DiFranco. As far as the monotone rapping goes, all I can say is it's grown on me. I actually like how basic it sounds and I think it suits the music pretty well.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote