Music Banter - View Single Post - Top ten British bands
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #42 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Well it's not political as it is a question of semantics... of P-Celtic vs Q-Celtic. You can trace the etymology of "Britain/British" to "Briton" and Brythonic language is P-Celtic. And when I see "British" I tend to think of the British Ilses in general. And whenever I over-extend the meaning of "British" I know the Irish are like "Wo wait a minute Irish Gaelic is Q-Celtic not P-Celtic." It's just a matter of watching my P's and Q's.

OK enough excuses, I didn't include them because I think they are British I had to include them because I can't follow the rules.
Accepted. But just to clarify, if you live in Ireland (either half) or watch the news over here you'll see that it IS political, one of the most dividing and polarising issues in Irish history. One side believes Ireland should be ALL Irish, including the six counties of Ulster, whereas the other side wants to be part of the United Kingdom. So talk to a Protestant/Unionist/Loyalist about Ireland being Irish, they'll tell you you're wrong, they're BRITISH, whereas the Republicans will all tell you Ulster is Irish, part of the island of Ireland and should be all one country.

We had over thirty years of sectarianism, murder, and guerilla war trying to sort this out, so it is both political and historical. But as for south of the border, don't call anyone here British, unless you have your best running shoes on!