Music Banter - View Single Post - Velvet Underground album reviews with individual song ratings
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thinkofthechildren
Music Addict

Default Velvet Underground album reviews with individual song ratings

Facts are hard to dispute, for instance The Velvet Underground is the greatest musical entity of modern history. Fact? Opinion? Maybe.

The Velvet Underground and Nico

Sunday Morning 10/10
Waiting for my Man 7/10
Femme Fatale 10/10
Venus In Furs 10/10
Run Run Run 8/10
All Tommorow's Parties 10/10
Heroin 10/10 GREATEST SONG OF ALL TIME LYRICALLY AND MUSICALLY
There She goes Again 8/10
I'll Be Your Mirror 10/10
Black Angel's Death song 10/10
European Son 6/10

Overall: 10/10 Greatest Album of all time.
Its astounding the diversity of this album, the shifts in genre, and the Beatles are perceived to have influenced all forms of music genre through their career, Velvets did it in one album. Even more astounding, when the Beatles tried, they tried, when the Velvets had such low ambition, wanting to make easy Rock and Roll songs (or atleast Lou) and they made this masterpiece. Another big anomaly is the contrast of tone and emotions conveyed by the different songs. How can you have Black Angel's Death song on the same album that has I'll Be Your Mirror? Its just not right. How can an album have such deep pessimism then the next song is the most uplifting thing you've ever heard? Well, I suppose this.

White Light/White Heat

White Light/White Heat 8/10
The Gift 1/10
Lady Godiva's Operation 10/10
Here She Comes now 9/10
I Heard Her Call My Name 7/10
Sister Ray 9/10

Overall: 8/10
While the album isn't exactly an all round home run, I still wouldn't change it because its just so unique. I think the highlight of this is Lady Godiva's Operation, everyone says Sister Ray but for me LGO I feel is their second best song they've made. Lyrically sound, and it just feels like I'm being cleansed when listening to it, like a shower for the brain.

The Velvet Underground

Candy Says 10/10
What Goes On 10/10
Some Kinda Love 7/10
Pale Blue Eyes 9/10
Jesus 7/10
Beginning To See The Light 8/10
I'm Set Free 10/10
Thats The Story of my life 7/10
Murder Mystery 9/10
After Hours 10/10

Overall: 8/10
Highlight is definitely I'm Set Free, everytime Lou sings "...And Now" and leads into the crescendo, it always gets me with goosebumps like no other song has.

Loaded

Who Loves the Sun 10/10
Sweet Jane 10/10
Rock & Roll 9/10
Cool It Down 6/10
New Age 6/10
Head Held High 7/10
Lonesome Cowboy Bill 6/10
I Found A Reason 7/10
Train Around the Bend 7/10
Oh Sweet Nuthin 8/10

Overall: 7/10
It just doesn't connect with me one bit. I Find after the first three songs the album to be extremely boring. Solid nonetheless.

Last edited by Thinkofthechildren; 11-02-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Thinkofthechildren is offline   Reply With Quote