Music Banter - View Single Post - How do you feel about this?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #26 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
No one thinks welfare/food stamps are limitless credit cards. The image at the very least displays irresponsible behavior, and more often than not they don't run out and realize they need to get a job. A lot of people on welfare don't want to get a job. I realize that may apply to a minority of those on welfare, but I think it's still a significant problem. Most of my friends and their families have or have had welfare benefits. I know a lot of them are trying to make it work, but I know some total pieces of **** who don't deserve anything.

We don't need to get rid of it, and we don't need to force regulations, but I think it either needs to be tougher to get benefits or tougher to keep benefits. Force them to go to 2-hour classes or something.
There will always be those who abuse a system, but if, according to your own words, those who abuse welfare are in the minority of those who use it responsibly, why should you make it more difficult for those who genuinely need it to obtain/hold onto those benefits? You're punishing many for the acts of a few.

I don't know the percentage of people who genuinely need welfare vs. those who could do without. It's a tough thing to gauge considering all of the factors involved. But to me, the benefits of the current system far outweigh the faults -- and if there were one person genuinely in need to 10 who weren't, I'd still advocate the current system or an even easier one.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote