Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #1572 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Okay, so who have we not slagged off so far? So many countries, so little time... Ooh I know! What about Hungary? Sure, they only entered the contest for the first time in 1994, but that's no reason to exclude them. In fact... here's their very first entry, which rather amazingly came fourth. Not bad for your first try! I have to say, it's a damn fine song: quite folky and the acoustic guitar really suits the mood of the music. Sung by a lady called Friderika Bayer, it's actually more indicative of the kind of songs that countries like this used to enter into the contest, before they all started going pop and dancy, so that now they pretty much all sound the same, whether they're sung in English or in their native language.

Seems Hungary never managed to win the Eurovision, but bringing songs of this calibre into the contest they must surely be credited, at least partially, with raising the bar for future years. There was a time when you could watch the Eurovision and actually get a flavour of what each country's national music was like; even if you couldn't understand what they were singing about, it was still an experience. Now, it's just all so much X Factor rubbish mostly, with the only difference being that it may be sung in another language. But you can't even be sure of that anymore.

So though we're dedicated to slagging off the worst of the worst in this section, as I picked this at random and had never heard it before, let's hear it for Hungary, who in 1994 brought a sense of magic and class to the Eurovision Song Contest.

1994 --- Hungary --- “Kinek mondjam el vétkeimet (Who will be there?)” by Friderika Bayer