Music Banter - View Single Post - Jack White
Thread: Jack White
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #114 (permalink)
Rjinn
The Aerosol in your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Are you saying this is his only output, or are you talking about a specific album?
Speaking generally. He did lead into different directions with The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather, but lost his spice, and became decreasingly impressive. Quite a bore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
I wouldn't say that he is doing something that is unheard. But he did really come out into the national spotlight doing something that was pretty absent in popular music. I still think his overall sound is pretty distinctive. Especially on this new album. His songwriting, vocals and guitar playing are pretty distinctive in all his work. Sure, he plays blues rock which isn't unique at all, but the way he does it, its the tone he has I guess that is distinctive to me.

Just out of curiousity, Are you a fan of David gilmour? Do you think he is unique or special?
I actually agree that he's a good song writer. Most interesting part if anything. Guitar, doesn't really push it into an unexpected curb still. I'd like to know how you think his guitar playing becomes distinctive? If I heard a Jack White guitar piece on the radio or some kind of music media stream without knowing it, I probably wouldn't be able to tell whether it's Jack White or not. Also there is definitely no insinuation here that all blues rock today is unoriginal. It's harder to reach in regard considering how many artists accumulated, but definitely not an unoriginal genre.

I also mentioned Rory Gallagher in relation to Jack White in the blues rock topic.

I honestly think there's a mirror to Jack White style here.

In his favour, the covers he did in White Stripes, Death Letter, Stop Breaking Down, One More Cup of Coffee, Your Souther Can Is Mine, and especially I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself (He made that song a hell of a lot better than the original) really made them shine through, but that's only in terms of cover contortion.

As for David Gilmour, it's hard to say. In terms of progression he brought something new to the table back in the times. His blues tone flow though is pretty standard, despite being lovely.

I'll give his new solo album another listen just to be open. :P

Last edited by Rjinn; 11-03-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote