Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you think ones taste in music is a reflection of their intellectual capacity?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjinn View Post
Is it possible listening to music for absolutely no reason?
This is an interesting point...I think how someone listens to music might reflect intelligence in some way. In my experience people who are really into prog have been pretty smart. At least nerdy. I think this is because to be really interested in that kind of music, you have to have some kind of appreciation for the technical side of music. However, someone who is into prog might like Coldplay, and according to Pedestrian's graph Coldplay fans can also be dumb. I would imagine, however, that the prog fan would probably be listening to them and dissecting all their time signatures. The low SAT scorer is probably listening to them for their pretty sounds. There are exceptions everywhere, so you would never be able to prove this one way or the other but I know I tend to judge people based on the reasons they listen to certain things.

Even though this isn't totally black and white, I have noticed 2 extremes with metalheads. There are pretty smart guys and then meatheads. This is because metal has the potential to appeal to both of those extremes. The smart guys can appreciate its technical side and the meatheads think it's badass.