Music Banter - View Single Post - U.S. Election Day — Obama vs. Romney
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #475 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

@batlord, it's funny because Tore seems to want Right-Wing politics to be anything but reactionary, :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I have a pretty strong suspicion that something along those lines will happen in our lifetime. The more time goes by the more I think were going to start seeing the latter group you reference start drifting off into a fringe extremist party (or parties) while the republican party turns into a party that's more about simply fiscal conservatism.
I doubt it. Fissures in the Republican party are nothing compared to those in the Democrats. If we pretended people voted for reasons other than identity politics, I'd place money on a party emerging which unites fiscal populism with reactionary Christian morality across racial lines, consider:

The single most reliable ethnic constituency of Democrats are blacks. Despite this, when gay rights - a Democratic pet project if there very was one - went to the ballot, they were more conservative than Whites.

Latinos & Blacks tend to vote Democrat for reasons economic & because of identity politics. I don't think this is sustainable because (1) their religious/cultural views conflict strongly with those of liberal whites/jew/asians, & (2) because the economic life of these groups continue to move apart.