Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Blues Guitarists.
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #95 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjinn View Post
Eric Clapton is still brilliant. I wouldn't say he's the best though. Saw him with Derek Trucks 4 years ago 2nd row from the stage and couldn't stop watching his licks on the guitar. Incredible concert.

Now that I've mentioned it Derek Trucks deserves some credit here. I reckon he's one of the best recent blues guitar players.
I've seen Eric Clapton with Derek Trucks too... I forget when, maybe it was the same 4 years ago. I was hoping they would perform Bell Bottoms Blues - but they didn't. While we're on the subject I think Duane Allman is one of the best, even though he is in a jam band, his playing style is straight from the Blues. Keith Richards is probably under-rated for his Blues style guitar playing (even though he's known for his open G tuning and playing different styles of music) when he plays the Blues he has a few tricks up his sleeve you wouldn't expect.

Mississippi John Hurt and Blind Willie McTell are my favorite. I saw a short clip of Beck (Hansen not Jeff...) play acoustic Blues once and he was pretty good at it, but I never did find anything by him that was strictly Blues. But I did come across a video of Rory Gallagher doing a set of acoustic Blues numbers - since I don't know too much about him it wasn't something I wasn't expecting to see, it was a happy happenstance.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote