Music Banter - View Single Post - U.S. Election Day — Obama vs. Romney
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #549 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
Third parties won't win the presidency until we have multi-member district legislators.
The point is that they'd have more of a chance. As it stands right now it's basically impossible, even if they have a lot of support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
So right now with the electoral college there's a rural bias in policy. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing. These places are poorer and are a lot less self sufficient than large urban with larger tax bases. A popular vote would just shift the bias towards urban areas. I don't really think big picture that one is better than the other but ag subsidies definitely keep food prices low. It would equalize voting power but it's not really as big of an issue as people make it out to be. Obama got approximately 60 million votes and Romney got approximately 57 million votes (rounding down for easy math). So Romney got 5% less popular vote and 33% less electoral votes. Most of the states listed as a problem voted for Romney.

I really think that changing the system ends with a different approach but unlikely a different outcome.
So you acknowledge the rural bias but it doesn't bother you? Don't you think every voter deserves an equal voice?