Music Banter - View Single Post - U.S. Election Day — Obama vs. Romney
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #563 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
What is the relevance of the geographical size of the states? Land areas don't vote, populations do, and states like Montana contain a very, very tiny sliver of the American population.
You could very well say that the election was determine by a tiny sliver of the American population as well, 2.5% of the 57.5% of the eligible voters who came out to vote.

Montana is the 7th least populous state. You can't dismiss land just for the sake of it being land. The land is used for agriculture. "Approximately 66% of the total land [of Montana] are dedicated to farmland or agriculture."* There is a different dynamic in play. Farmers have different needs and are part of the American landscape as well. There has to be a balance between the rural and urban areas because they offer different resources.

*Montana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
So Romney got 5% less popular vote and 33% less electoral votes. Most of the states listed as a problem voted for Romney.

I really think that changing the system ends with a different approach but unlikely a different outcome.
Your figures are higher than what I have seen. Romney had 2.5% less popular votes you claimed is 200% higher that that, and Romney had 23.4% less electorial votes & your figure of 33% is 1.41 times higher.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards