Music Banter - View Single Post - Zep Vs. The Who
Thread: Zep Vs. The Who
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 11:38 PM   #43 (permalink)
Merkaba
Whitewater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger
Anyone who argues that Led Zeppelin had more recognisable songs than The Who needs their head tested.

The Who were one of the first Rock bands who had hit single after hit single who appeared on Radio & TV on a regular basis.
Led Zeppelin didn`t release any singles they never did any TV & they were hardly ever on the radio , to hear Led Zeppelin you either had to buy the albums or see them live.
I`d say if you played a non fan songs by both bands they`d recognize stuff like My Generation & Pinball Wizard much better than any of the Led Zep songs mentioned in the post above.
Isn't that because The Who made radio friendly music? It didn't exactly exceed the 4 minute mark so radio dj's weren't shooting themselves in the foot like they would by playing 8 minutes of Stairway.

It's easy to have single after single when they are over in a couple of minutes. Although in saying that, The Who deserved all the radio play and acknowledgement that they got. I just wouldn't want these two bands to be judged on their radio play because Led Zeppelin would get mown down in a flash.