Music Banter - View Single Post - What's All The Fuss About ______ Movie/Book/Game?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post
One that I can't quite get around is LOST IN TRANSLATION. Bill Murray is about as awesome as they come. Scarlet Johansson is a bombshell. This movie was tedious and slow moving. It seemingly had no plot either, but people seem to think this movie is a revelation. I just can't comprehend what made this movie so popular. Obviously there must be some hidden meaning or plot line I missed. I'd watch it again if there was even one redeeming quality in it besides the actors.
I love, love, love that movie. It does a great job of using the isolation one must feel in a foreign country where one doesn't speak the language to illustrate the isolation you feel when you feel like life is crushing you down. And Murray and Johansson's friendship/chaste affair is just sweet and adorable. I never thought that an old man and a twenty something having a (non)relationship would ever not be creepy, but there you go. It doesn't make you laugh in the way that a normal comedy does, it just uses humor to disarm you and make the drama less heavy.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote