Music Banter - View Single Post - U.S. Election Day — Obama vs. Romney
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #570 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circe View Post
In all fairness, those stats don't necessarily mean Obama is the "smart" vote (even though I think he is). Some bloke with a Fine Arts degree in New England isn't necessarily more intelligent in the field of politics than a degree-less man in the bible belt.
I agree.
I realize the compilation of the statistics in their entirety could have had a different intention, but the picture Burning Down posted only includes enough information to infer that educated people vote to the left, and non-educated people vote right. (Even when evaluating that statement on its own, we can pretty much say from experience that it's nowhere near accurate)
Having been around long enough to know, these types of statistics are often presented in such a way to specifically misrepresent data to make an argument that could not be made had all the other factors been included.

There's nothing wrong with simply posting a particular set of statistics, but I think care should be taken as to the argument it's perceived to be making. In context of an entire set of statistics for each state, I think the average person may draw very different conclusions.