Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #12482 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Night of the Living Dead (1990)

So it's a remake and we're all suppose to hate remakes right? Well put down your torches, pitchforks, and rope cause out of the three Romero remakes I think this one is the best. First off it's directed by Tom Savini and Romero did show up to produce it, so you know it's at least in good hands. I think the film stays pretty truthful to the original, but takes advantage of a more lenient rating system to allow more gore and swearing than in the original. Tony Todd did an excellent job portraying Ben, and I damn near fell in love with Patricia Tallman as Barbra. In fact I think her character arc is one of the better ones that I've ever seen in a zombie movie. She does a very convincing job at having a psychological breakdown after watching her brother get killed in the graveyard, but by the third act she knows what she needs to do to survive and is willing to do it. I also got a real sense of a feminism undertone as she comments on how slow the zombies are and how they could just leave the house they're frantically trying to board up and avoid them, however the idea gets shot down by Ben who tries to frantically board up the house with anything they can find, which proves to be not enough when the hoard gets big enough.

If you're a big fan of the original I suggest seeking this one out, because I think it really does stay true to the Romero spirit, and there are some really skillful shots that showcase his directorial talent.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote