Music Banter - View Single Post - Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed"
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Actually three - their first era was the one led by Denny Laine (Later of Paul McCartney's Wings) who focused on a more R&B flavor. The big hit of that era was the cover of "Go Now" that's still a favorite of British Beat of The Mid 60's. The Magnificent Moodies was the first album, but it's non-success made it easy to overlook.

For me, the first Heyward/Lodge era was Mk2, the seven albums they created with the Moodies sound that's the best known. There were a few couple of stand-alone singles released through 66-67 that announced this era, but were also overlooked. There was a compilation, Prelude, that is a good listen which includes several songs from that time including "Fly Me High" and "Love and Beauty" that hint to what was to come.

An easier to find 2-CD compilation of singles sides features possibly the best selection of rare sides and hits including "Boulevard de la Madeleine," from what I think was the last Laine-led single which was a major break away from the B&B style not on Prelude.

The third to me is Octave and after, keeping the Moodies name alive.

Last edited by Screen13; 11-17-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote