Music Banter - View Single Post - Salutations
Thread: Salutations
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crinn View Post
I've seen them twice. The first time was at the 2009 Mayhem Festival. Here's the thing: when you picture them playing, it's in a mainly dark setting; Behemoth destroyed the place; and it was outside, sunny, and HOT. The second time I saw them was last April with Watain and In Solitude. It was awesome because the venue they were playing at is run by money-whores, so they kept letting people in after the show sold-out to the point where it was shoulder-to-shoulder lol

My FAVORITE songs by Behemoth include: Demigod, Before The Æons Came, As Above so Below, Satan's Sword, and XUL.

And finally...my all-time favorite song by them (I just realized that it was) LISTEN TO THE WHOLE THING, 2:05 is where the brutality starts:

Behemoth- The Reign Ov Shemsu-Hor - YouTube
Thank you for the songs and for your descriptions of the two Behemoth concerts you've been to. I can imagine a little how it felt to be there, based on your descriptions.

I've actually seen one Behemoth concert, but on YouTube. So I got in free. And there wasn't much of a crowd.

Behemoth - Bloodstock Open Air 2012 - Full live performance

Behemoth - Bloodstock Open Air 2012 - Full live performance - YouTube

The brutality of Behemoth's music and other metal music is what makes it appeal to me. I'm glad when groups make music that reflects the brutality of nature and of people, because acknowledging the horrors that are part of real life is the first step in dealing with them.

I hadn't realized until yesterday that lead singer Nergal is a cancer survivor. Seeing cancer in action, like a slow-motion explosion of a person's body from the inside out, does remind one of the brutality of nature. It sounds like Nergal finds catharsis through music.

The Behemoth song that sticks in my mind, mostly because of the disturbing and theatrical video, is "Alas, Lord is Upon Me":

Behemoth - Alas, Lord is Upon Me CENSORED - YouTube

Finally, you mentioned you also like classical. So I am wondering how you feel about Prokofiev's "Dance of the Knights." I'm thinking you would like it for its somber power (constrasting with gentler, beautiful sections...like the contrast between darkness and light):

Prokofiev - "Dance of the Knights"

Prokofiev - Dance of the Knights - YouTube
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 11-17-2012 at 01:00 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote