Music Banter - View Single Post - Def Leppard
Thread: Def Leppard
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #151 (permalink)
sopsych
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Batlord, I have analyzed your analysis of my analysis, and I have concluded that your view is partly correct. Many Def Leppard lyrics *are* intended to create fun music for fun times. (You're also correct that I do derive pleasure from giving thought to Def Leppard lyrics. )

Your post made me curious about Def Leppard's view of their own lyrics and music. I found what I feel is an excellent and amusing interview with Joe Elliott:
Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott Can’t Explain the Lyrics to “Pour Some Sugar on Me” | MTV Hive.

The interview shows that Def Leppard were mostly trying to make fun songs for fun times...but they also had some serious songs, such as "From the Inside" about addiction. Joe Elliott also didn't want to tell people the exact meanings of their lyrics: "That ruins the fun of it. It’s like playing hide and seek and telling them where you’re hiding. It’s pointless." They wanted people to use their imagination when interpreting lyrics. Isn't that nice?

Reading this Def Leppard interview, I also learned (and this was even more surprising to me than the fact that drummer Rick Allen has only one arm) that...

Def Leppard has two and a half vegans!!!

I never knew that Phil Collen and one-armed drummer Rick Allen are vegans, while Vivian Campbell is a "lactopescovegetarian" (he eats fish but no red meat). Joe Elliott comments about their backstage vegetarian cuisine: "Yeah. Rock and roll, right? [Laughs.] We’re born to be mild." <-- Cute.

Perhaps Phil Collen's vegetarianism provided a little inspiration for writing the song "Animal" back in the '80s. My view is that there are always reasons for something. We can't always identify the reasons, but I like to try.

Yes, "Animal" uses many metaphors relating to animals (circus, running wolf) to represent passion and desire. I don't find the lyrics irritating because they stretch my mind a little. My favorite line, though, is "such a lust for life" because that broadens the song's topic to more than just physical lust. The line makes me ask myself if it describes the singer or the person lusted after (I always assumed the latter). My point is that the lyrics at least make me think.

I also appreciate how the message of excitement is supported by the powerful, energized sound of the music. Def Leppard's sound from the '80s and early '90s was very distinctive to me. Joe Elliott writes, "We absolutely apply the science of rock in the recording studio to make our records sound massive and bombastic."

Your post made me realize I've never heard any of the songs off the "Slang" album or learned how Def Leppard changed their sound in the '90s. I listened to the song "Slang" and the starts of a few others off the album. They aren't bad but they didn't grip me as much as their earlier songs.

I also learned that Def Leppard consider themselves a "British rock band" and not heavy metal or a hair band. I thought you'd appreciate this quote, since it has to do with hair :

Joe Elliott: "We’re rock. It’s a vast difference [from metal]. AC/DC are metal, Van Halen aren’t metal. And neither are they a hair band, but they’ve got hair. If it’s the difference between being a hair band and a bald band, yes, we’re a hair band. But musically, we’re a British rock band, end of story."

If it's the difference between being a hair band and a bald band, then they're a hair band!

I like these Def Leppard guys.
What if I told you that Joe Elliot and Rick Allen each have been arrested for domestic violence?

But, yeah, there's a certain charm and humor to the band, which seems to come largely from Joe. And the vegetarian stuff is a surprise to me - an article says Rick Allen made the switch right after the accident. Maybe the band members are weirder and smarter than many other rock stars. Working with Mutt Lange (who also produced Heartbeat City by The Cars and 4 by Foreigner) definitely was a great choice - and the decline began when he backed away.

The though-provoking lyrics probably is the best point above. Not that Def Leppard ever wrote great lyrics, but in the heyday they were consistently interesting and usually humorous or genuinely emotional. Or, once in a while, philosophical, like "Gods of Wars," which is my favorite post-Pyromania album track. With almost all songs - "Make Love Like a Man" being a silly exception - worded mysterious enough to invite repeat listens. More on that later.
sopsych is offline   Reply With Quote