Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #138 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

The Live Album Section 1971

[
Humble Pie Performance Rockin’ the Fillmore 1971 (A&M)
Hard Rock

We've narf had a gas this time!

The Album
Humble Pie were born for the live performance and the band really flex out on this whopping double set of 72 minutes! This is a mammoth live album and I always considered it to be a cornerstone of 1970s live albums and was therefore surprised to see a couple of recent reviews that gave it negative opinions. I guess that the negativity from some quarters, may well have come from the fact that two sides of the album are just taken up with the massively extended blues covers of “I Walked on Gilded Splinters” and “Rollin Stone” by Dr.John and Muddy Waters. In fact the vast majority of the album was actually made up of non-album material which may have gone against the band. Personally I think the band do real justice to these covers and the albums ranks as one of the better Fillmore East live albums over the years, with the album’s highlight being a rousing cover of “I Don’t Need No Doctor”. Playing at Fillmore East New York was probably one of the most prestigious venues to play in at the time, after the venue had entered into the annals of rock history, with the Allman Brothers legendary double album performance there earlier on in the year. Prior to this album, the band had just released Rock On (on my Albums that missed the cut…. section for the year) and it was an album which was seen as something of a departure in style from Humble Pie’s previous boogie-blues to a more harder rocking style. This gradual change in styles, resulted in prompting guitar virtuoso Peter Frampton to terminate his association with Steve Marriot and co. and embark on a solo career, making this live album the final recording with the original line-up intact.

Steve Marriot- Guitar/Vocals
Peter Frampton- Guitar
Greg Ridley- Bass
Jerry Shirley- Drums

Production- Humble Pie
Fillmore East 1970

If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 01-01-2014 at 05:11 AM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote