Music Banter - View Single Post - Define "prog-lite"
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
I suppose Supertramp could be said to have had a light or thin sound/feel, but they were not lightweight (certainly not on the first three albums). They had a commercial patch in the late seventies/ ealry eighties, but I lost interest, so I am not sure if that constitutes 'lite'. I always liked Rick Davies and when Hodgson left, I though they improved. I would have thought that Cannonball played live was far from 'lite'.

I remember the word 'lite' appearing when the press described Queen as Led Zeppelin-lite, which might seem right if you have never heard their albums, because it ignores tracks like Brighton Rock and Dragon Attack.

I never thought of Kansas as progressive, anymore than Jethro Tull or Rush. None of these are lite though.
This has been discussed on here before. "Lite" just simply means a more mainstream sounding proggy band or a band with a commercial sheen imo.

You shouldn't have said that Rush weren't prog, you'll have the hate brigade sending you nasty emails By the way why don't you think Rush, Jethro Tull and Kansas are prog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
To be fair to the suggestion of Boston as "prog", while most of their stuff is definitely AOR, there are certainly elements in some of their music (Foreplay/Long Time, for example) in which there are certainly elements that influenced later Prog music. Whether they were in themselves influenced by Prog around the same time... I'm not going to make any assumptions there, largely because I'm extremely bad at remembering the ordering of bands from that era...

I guess the point there is that sometimes Boston took elements that are normally associated with Prog and wove them into their standard AOR, so in someways that could be considered a "lite" form of prog, no?
As I was saying before, bands like Boston and Toto were highly gifted and exceptional musicians, had they been around several years earlier they may well have been putting out a prog sound, but by the time that these bands were putting out their debut albums, prog was on the slide and AOR was taking off. Bands like Steely Dan and Supertramp were bridging the gap between the two genres and showing that highly gifted musicians at the time could make shorter accomplished songs. Bands like Boston and Toto were certainly going to have some prog influences because that was what they were partly influenced by.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote