Music Banter - View Single Post - Killuminati, Arab Money and a Semester Abroad.
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newkie
Boozy Lad

You make some really interesting points, in each of your posts actually, but I'll try and keep it up to date and just talk about the latest one.

I think you make some very good points about the changing fortunes of artists. Green Day didn't just wake up one day as poor musicians (although some will obviously argue they were never good to begin with) I liked them though, and while I wasn't exactly looking forward to this trio of albums of theirs I was at least hopeful. Needless to say I was massively disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankycaaant View Post

When a person has it all; money, fame, legions of fans, as many woman as they want...how can the average person relate to them?
This is definitely a key point in the case of Weezer. It would be an interesting experiment, to introduce a person to Weezer in a reverse chronological order. Despite the obvious superiority of the Weezer/Pinkerton albums, would someone who enjoyed their later stuff and then listened to their early stuff be that impressed by it? I mean it's so ****ing samey..

Anyway, back to your point-I know what you're getting at with the whole "they're not like me" anymore idea, but in all honesty I think it's a bit simplistic to say some bands have it all as it were and then lose their inspiration. Not that i'm saying musicians have a hard life, far from it, just that fame, "success" the girls, the money can bring with it problems that "normal" people have themselves, like isolation perhaps. I think successful artists can still find that same emotion that they had when they began their careers albeit they will generally have to change and adapt their music-as you say. But yeah, in Weezer's case, they never really grew up..
Newkie is offline   Reply With Quote