Music Banter - View Single Post - Fake or Future?: Electronic Music's Conflict With Tradition.
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crygorg
Groupie

Post Fake or Future?: Electronic Music's Conflict With Tradition.

After hours of reading biased posts from a variety of positions and sources purely to sate my own curiosity. I found myself seeking an open minded, music-oriented community to discuss the common, and possibly annoying topic; Is electronic music real music?

I wanted to find opinions based on one's definition of music, that is after all the fulcrum on which the scale of your opinion is balanced. What do you believe music is? My real source of inquiry being: "What is the common definition of music." And before I get a copy-paste definition of music, fresh from Google's first 'dictionary' search result. Consider what your own feeling might be, and with that said...

Music has been criticized almost every time a new style gained influence among young people. The base of new music types or just new combinations of musical elements always seems to be disliked by the listeners of the last trend. Rock and Roll experienced this, Jazz experienced this, Even the piano was wrong for those who mastered bow techniques to create the same note.
Electronic music (My generalized umbrella term of choice for any music of this type.) is quite possibly a new trend for young people and my be future of music. *gasp* That indeed feels sinful to say on any music forum. Traditional music (That which is not made by a computer of sorts.) will probably never leave the spotlight and this is for many good reasons. But the issue will persist until the new fad arises.

If you think music is solely based on creativity and pleasure, Or if you're neutral on the matter and just dont like the sound of electronic music, or possibly based on your definition consider it ''robot and potty sounds''; you're human and your position should be understood, and your skepticism respected.

I should probably say that; personally I listen to a mixed playlist consisting mostly of Howard Shore, Modest Mouse, Flux Pavilion, Feed Me and the old Korn. Nobody is completely free of bias.

Try:
Bassnectar's song: 'What' For some modern American Dubstep.

Johnny Cash's: 'Hurt' For.. well, It's Cash fool, you dont pass up a jam like that.

If you did not find this tldr and you're still here, I would love to hear input from any point of view.
Crygorg is offline   Reply With Quote