Music Banter - View Single Post - Def Leppard
Thread: Def Leppard
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #157 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopsych View Post
Strange but true: when I first went online today, a story about Vivien Campbell getting divorced randomly popped up.

I thought the two domestic violence incidents happened earlier, but I correctly recalled they were within a short time of each other. I had no heard any explanations before. Maybe it's because musicians generally are volatile and very stressed at times - or maybe domestic violence is no different in frequency or reasons than for regular people.

As for producers' influences, many are musicians themselves, so it isn't rare that they help with lyrics. The problem with Mutt Lange is that he isn't good with lyrics. Maybe he boosted the humor in some Def Leppard songs, but I doubt he increased their depth. On Waking Up the Neighbors, many of the songs co-written with Lange are some of the worst of Bryan Adams' career, though mostly lyrically respectable songs were the album's singles.
I just read about Vivien Campbell's divorce from his wife of 25 years.

It's always hard to know when people divorce what is really going on, since there can be stresses unseen by the public such as verbal or physical abuse...but from the *outside* it simply looks like Vivien (love that name!) fell in love with a younger woman and so is dumping his wife. It's strange that Vivien Campbell is filing for full custody of their two children. That doesn't sound in their best interest, and so I'm suspicious of his motives.

Well, at least Phil Collen still seems happily married (now)! Relationship breakdowns are hard, so I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

I'm curious now about Bryan Adams' songs co-written with Mutt Lange. Ah, "Everything I do I do it for you" and "All For Love" are two.

I'm guessing that the frequencing of domestic violence perpetrated by rock stars is no greater than that of the general population, but it just seems to me that it is because rock stars get so much press and attention (like from me, here, in this thread!).

About Def Leppard's recent music: I read that Def Leppard rerecorded "Pour Some Sugar On Me" and "Rock of Ages" to retain control of their hits after a major disagreement with their ex-record label about the digital rights for their back catalog.

Have you heard these recent remakes? I felt they were very well done but not quite as good as the original recordings because the remakes sound a little too clean and not quite as powerful, but they are still very interesting to hear (which you can do at this website):

Def Leppard's New Versions of 'Pour Some Sugar on Me' and 'Rock of Ages' -- Double Premiere - Noisecreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Is it just me, or is he prettier than her?
I don't think it is just you! But I think Def Leppard's former producer Lange's wife Shania and his lover's former husband Fred are *both* very pretty. IMO they are a much better match than Mutt Lange and Shania were physically.

Def Leppard should sing a song about Shania and Fred! A real love song, not one of their contrived ones.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 11-20-2012 at 09:16 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote