Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #145 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Blues, Psychedelic, Progressive, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal or Just Plain Eclectic 1969-1971 Part 2.

Now when it comes to eclectic look no further than the Groundhogs, my knowledge of this band was somewhat limited, but thanks to a member on here my eyes have been opened to them and I’m impressed with everything about the band (how the hell did I never discover this band before!) Essentially they were a three-piece blues rock band highlighted by the blazing guitar of Tony McPhee, who was known in some quarters as a British Jimi Hendrix, the band put out some really diverse affairs that covered blues rock, hard rock, psychedelia, garage and acoustics. The three albums most appropriate to this time period are the impressive works of Thank Christ for the Bomb 1970, Live at Leeds 1971 and certainly on a par with the Who’s Live at Leeds and Split 1971. I’ve selected a few songs of this band and believe me the guitar of Tony Mcphee is amazing and the intensity of the later part of the track “Thank Christ for the Band” is simply legendary, bassist Peter Cruickshank and drummer Ken Pustelnik were perfect accompaniments with their often aimless, sloppy and heavy rhythm section which laid down the backbone of the band.

Groundhogs Thank Christ for the Bomb 1970 (Liberty)
Blues Rock

Groundhogs Live at Leeds 1971 (Liberty)
Blues Rock

Groundhogs Split 1971 (Liberty)
Blues Rock

So I say thank christ for the bomb.

If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 11-24-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote