Music Banter - View Single Post - Rabbiting On: Big Ears' Journal
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #41 (permalink)
Big Ears
Music Addict

Mr Big - What If . . . (2010)

Mr Big live up to their name

Mr Big, the American band with that name, are a shred-supergroup, formed by bassist Billy Sheehan after leaving David Lee Roth's band in 1988. He recruited drummer Pat Torpey from Robert Plant's group, guitarist Paul Gilbert from Racer X and singer Eric Martin. Opening track on the first self-titled album (1989) is Addicted to That Rush, which received international airplay, but failed to chart outside the US. Three more studio albums, Lean Into It (1991), Bump Ahead (1993) and Hey Man (1997) followed with Gilbert on guitar. The first three were successful in the US and Japan, but less so in the UK (with the exception of Bump Ahead). The band also enjoyed a number of international hit singles in the early ninties. Despite the success, there was friction in the band, so Richie Kotzen replaced Gilbert for two more albums, but, following differences between Martin and Sheehan, the band split in 2002.

What If . . . [pigs could fly] became the title of the reunion album for good reason as Billy Sheehan had found himself fired from his own band. When the promoters learned of this, they refused to continue with the (then) current tour, forcing Eric Martin to ask Sheehan to return. Sheehan agreed, but only for a farewell tour, and Mr Big subsequently disbanded. A reunion of sorts occurred in 2008, when Torpey, Sheehan and Kotzen joined Gilbert on stage at The House of Blues in LA. The musicians enjoyed the experience so much, that, a few days later, they decided to ask Martin to join them in a reformation. He agreed and, in 2009, the original lineup of Mr Big undertook a tour to celebrate the twentieth anniversary of the release of their debut album.

The first track begins with Billy Sheehan's busy bass and Paul Gilbert's complimentary guitar, given added punch by a crystal clear production. The overall impression is of Van Halen, with harmonised vocals in the style of Steve Perry-era Journey. Eric Martin is a better technical singer than David Lee Roth, but he lacks the character of 'Diamond Dave'. American Beauty even begins with a David Lee Roth-style spoken intro, "Here we go". It also references Van Halen's When Push Comes to Shove, from Fair Warning, in the lyrics. Gilbert may be a shredder and is not afraid to solo, but he never wastes a note.

After two barnstormers, Mr Big switch to a slow ballad about a returning soldier, Stranger In My Life. Martin varies his voice skilfully, from quiet opening to full-blooded balladeer with harmonies; the same applies to Gilbert in reverse, from excellent solo to quiet coda. Track four, Noboday Left to Blame, sounds like Led Zeppelin's version of Nobody's Fault But Mine, with loud bass and jangling guitar. It may be more than a coincidence, as Paul Gilbert covered the song with John Paul Jones for Guitar Wars. Eric Martin is too good a singer to need echo on his voice, but it is very effective on this piece.

There is more rock 'n' roll echo on the vocals of Still Ain't Enough Time, along with some Sheehan soloing. Once Upon a Time has one of the best endings, from Sheehan and Gilbert, that I have heard in a long time. As Far As I Can See has a sense of urgency from Martin and a great riff. Track eight, All the Way Up, is the second ballad on the album and, although extremely catchy, is a terrific song. Another infectious work is I Won't Get in My Way, which demonstrates Martin's soulful voice.

Around the World has more of Sheehan's soloing, which is always integrated. At times it seems as if Sheehan and Gilbert are trying to outdo each other and their symbiotic method of playing is a joy to behold. Surprisingly, the commercial I Get the Feeling was not the single. It has more phenomenal bass playing. My favourite track is probably the European and US bonus track, Unforgiven, which is full-on heavy rock, giving the band space to really let their hair down. Gilbert's guitar positively shimmers and Martin gives his best Plant/Hagar impression. The ending is very abrupt and the album is over before I am ready.

What If . .. is Sheehan's album, his bass dominates throughout, but Gilbert's guitar is always tasteful and never obtrusive. Eric Martin is able to vary his voice and the lyrics do not disappoint, yet, when I first heard the album, I thought it was let down by arrangements that are not memorable. I put this down to the production which, although pin-sharp, concentrates on the dynamism of the guitars and neglects variety in the melodies. What was needed, I felt, was a sense of the unpredictable. However, after repeated listenings, What If .. . has grown on me, insofar as it has made me want to seek out more Mr Big and Racer X material at the first opportunity. Billy Sheehan and Paul Gilbert are incredible!

What If . . . Tracklist

1. Undertow (4:49)
2. American Beauty (3:44)
3. Stranger in My Life (4:26)
4. Nobody Left to Blame (4:20)
5. Still Ain't Enough for Me (3:04)
6. Once Upon a Time (4:03)
7. As Far as I Can See (3:55)
8. All the Way Up (5:12)
9. I Won't Get in My Way (4:40)
10. Around the World (3:51)
11. I Get the Feeling (4:34)
12. Unforgiven (4:16) European & American edition bonus track

The Japanese & Korean edition has Kill Me with a Kiss (5:59) as the bonus, in place of Unforgiven. I have yet to hear a good quality post of this song, but it has Bad Co's Feel Like Makin' Love riff and a similarly leisurely pace. In spite of a strong guitar solo and some loose piano, the track is inferior to Unforgiven.

What If Lineup

Eric Martin: Vocals
Paul Gilbert: Guitars & backing vocals
Billy Sheehan: Bass guitar & backing vocals
Pat Torpey: Drums, percussion & backing vocals

Written in August 2012

Last edited by Big Ears; 11-23-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Big Ears is offline   Reply With Quote