Music Banter - View Single Post - Tips for a beginner singer
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
thefreethinker31
Groupie

Default Tips for a beginner singer

Hello guys,

I've been an instrumentalist for the longest time (playing bass/guitar) for bands, artists, and the like but deep inside of me wants to sing. It's hard to just go to places bringing your guitar and hopefully find someone to sing songs that you know how to play in the guitar. In short, I wanna learn how to sing haha. BUT, I don't know where to start. I tell myself that I can sing but when I actually do by myself, it really sounds horrible.

I've come to know that there are many techniques/ types of singing. Pardon my misuse of proper terminology but I really find Tom Delonge's style of whiney/accent singing in recordings really awesome though a lot even me don't like him singing live; to Portishead's Beth Gibbons' low fi singing that takes me away and etc (too many to mention).

There are just so many styles of singing that I can't seem to find the common denominator. Is it simply talking with a unique accent or something more. I don't really know. Hope you could give me some tips/advice to kickstart my learning on what you guys have already mastered. Would really appreciate it
thefreethinker31 is offline   Reply With Quote