Music Banter - View Single Post - Vote for a FAIR club album before Nov 30
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Default Vote for a FAIR club album before Nov 30

Every two weeks the Folk And International Roots Album Club votes for an album that they will listen to and discuss in the coming weeks.
Anyone can vote in this poll, but if you vote, please follow through and be ready to discuss whichever album wins the poll.

Thanks once more to stp, and an album from Frownland with a very unusual origin, we have a total of seven albums to choose between in this poll, with Sir Richard Bishop fighting for survival.
( As more than half the nominations are from stp, he still has a special dispensation and is entitled to vote for one of his own albums if he wants.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp View Post
Sir Richard Bishop - Polytheistic Fragments (2007)

Quite an interesting mix here exploring various world influences and experimental outings.
Sorry, Sir Richard ! If you don`t win this time, we`ll be standing you down, I`m afraid.
Quote:
Group Bombino - Guitars From Agadez Vol. 2 (2009)

A modern evolution of northern African music traditions.

Keep in mind these are live field recordings so the quality's not great but the energy is pretty kicking.

Quote:
Kef by Aram Bajakian (2011)

Three musicians who can`t decide if they`re a traditional Armenian wedding band, a jazz combo or a rock power trio, so they just put it all together in one album. From what I`ve heard of this album, which I admit is only about half, this is noisier and less traditional than most FAIR club nominations, but it retains just enough roots to be included here I hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I'll nominate another throat singing album since the last one was so popular. It's Oidupaa Vladimir Oiun's Divine Music From a Jail. It's vocals and accordian, written and recorded during Oidupaa's Serbian imprisonment. It's a gorgeous album and it has some of the best throat singing I've ever heard.

Quote:
Can't find much on this Brazilian artist but a pretty nice album.

Ana Flávia - Orações Aos Orixás (Candomble Prayers to the Orishas) (2009)

Quote:
Another Oud player, this time from Tunisia.

Anouar Brahem - Conte de l'Incroyable Amour (1992)

Wiki
Quote:
Ok this is my third nomination but to be honest my last two haven't really stood up to repeated listens. The Ana Flavia and Anouar Brahem sounded good at first but there are definite flat spots on both albums that make me doubt my nominations.

So on to my next attempt...

Dos Cafundós - Capitão Coração (2012)

If Zappa was Brazilian I would imagine it would sound something like this. He is cited as an influence by the band and it is certainly apparent.

Thanks as always to the people who make the effort to share their enthusiasm for FAIR music here.

Now let`s get voting ....