Music Banter - View Single Post - Snoop Lion
Thread: Snoop Lion
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankycaaant View Post
I'm a Bob fan too, but you've got to remember he died 31 years ago. It's time to move on.
The genre itself has never exactly set the world ablaze, and Snoop Dogg like it or not will actually bring some attention to reggae which hasn't been big since the skinheads of the 80's picked it up.

I'm anxious to see what Snoop does, chances are it won't be good but at least we're seeing something from the genre which isn't just another 'best of compilation' stemming from The Wailors.

Here's the new Snoop track for those who haven't heard it.

Reggae has never really been big within the mainstream and set the world ablaze and even regarding Bob Marley the attention on him was much more focused after his death. It is and will probably always be a minority sub genre and for every ten listeners I expose any form of Reggae to I will be lucky for 1 person to like it or even 'get' it.

That Snoop track is awful and that has nothing to do with who he is or what music he has made before.

Reggae, like Soul music isn't just a genre of music. It's a statement and a way of life and you can't just add a couple of skanking beats onto a track and expect everyone to love it, especially when you are taking the root of becoming a recognised and respected artist within that genre.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote