Music Banter - View Single Post - most disappointing gig
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

My worst gig is easily Guns n Roses at the Milton Keynes Bowl in 1993.

I remember being really excited because it was falling on the weekend of my birthday and it was my first time staying in London on my own. Got to the gig in plenty of time and it was a nice & sunny day. Blind Melon came on first to zero reaction. People just sat around ignoring them, when the lead singer tried a singalong I was embarrassed for him.

After that Soul Asylum came on, people got a little more excited as this was around the time they had some success with their Grave Dancers Union album so people spent their entire set waiting for them to play the only 2 songs of theirs they'd probably heard before, which they did right at the end. I used that time of indifference to make my way to the front of the stage.

The Cult came on next and rocked the place and were awesome.

Guns n Roses came on and there was initial excitement despite them coming onstage 90 minutes late when we saw that Izzy Stradlin was back in the band temporarily because Gilby Clarke had fractured his wrist in a motorcycle accident. It started off great, they really rocked the place ... for half an hour. Then we got a ballad, then another ballad, and another ballad. I was getting bored and hopped over the barrier to have a walk around the site. I thought about getting a beer but decided against paying £5 for a cup of lukewarm piss .... in 1993!!!!!!!!

Then another ballad and probably a 20 minute version of November Rain and you could see people just getting more & more bored and more and more soaked. That was followed by yet another ballad. Meanwhile it started chucking it down with rain. after about and hour of ballads & rain you could see that people weren't interested anymore and by the time they started to rock out a bit it was 10.30 and people were aware that the last train left for London at 11.00 so people were leaving in droves before they had even finished and I got on the bus back to the station with the riff from Sweet Child O Mine echoing in the night air and two thirds of the place empty.

Sitting back on the train to London I cursed myself that I didn't decide to come over to see Metallica, Megadeth, Diamond Head and The Almighty who were playing that same venue the following weekend.

Edit: The following day I went around London looking for things to do and saw the box office selling tickets for a Bill Hicks gig that night, I asked to buy a ticket and was turned down because it was a 21+ show

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote