Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Pink Floyd Albums
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 AM   #98 (permalink)
Mooneh
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingpig437 View Post
That's a strange thing to say! They'd been pretty much Prog from the Start. I'd even say Interstalla Overdrive, esp how they played it live, was the very start of Prog. If it wasn't then the title track from Saucerfiul of secrets was and then there's the title track of Atom Heart Mother and Echoes!
True. But their earlier stuff was more overrun by Psychedelic Rock and only small amounts of Prog Rock. Interstellar Overdrive is probably their most Progressive Rock song at the time. Hell, even Sysyphus was more Prog Rock than a lot of the other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I don't see how someone could listen to a song like "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" or "Sheep" and not think it's prog.
Sheep is probably their most Progressive Rock sounding song in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
Umma Gumma is a pretty good live album, but the only strong solo piece is Waters' Grantchester Meadows. It makes me feel that Waters was behind the idea of solo tracks, as the rest are messy. Atom Heart Mother has standouts in Gilmour's Fat Old Sun and Wright's Summer '68, but really has too much brass.

Wish You Were Here was a disapointment to me after Dark Side, because it sounded flat and in need of editting with some added punch. On reflection, the band felt guilty at their success without Barrett, but Waters was not to be troubled by his conscience again. Although dominated by Waters, Animals is actually a very good album, (a) due to the instrumentation and (b) despite the writer's attempt at right-on social comment.

Waters managed to sack the band's best musician, Rick Wright, for The Wall album, which turned out to be one long self-pitying whinge. On the live version, the most innovative playing is (needless to say) from Wright, by then a session musician and upon whom it was encumbent to come up with linking passages. There are a couple of tracks salvaged by Gilmour, namely Comfortably Numb and the great Young Lust. These days, I cannot bring myself to listen to The Final Cut without Rick Wright, which is just a collection of outttakes from the already overlong The Wall.

When Roger Waters left Pink Floyd, they did not miss him at all. Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell are both in my collection.

My Pink Floyd Top 10 therefore is:

1. Dark Side of the Moon (for sentimental reasons and consistency)
2. Meddle (the best album, but contains Seamus)
3. Animals (the calm before the storm)
4. Umma Gumma (good live material, but messy solo tracks)
5. The Division Bell
6. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
7. Wish You Were Here (how could it follow DSOTM?)
8. Relics (compilation of early tracks)
9. Atom Heart Mother (experimental and brass-y)
10. Pulse or Is There Anybody Out There?
Roger was behind the solo tracks because I don't know if you know but with The Narrow Way, David asked Roger to write the lyrics for him but Roger heavily declined and made sure a lot of them were working by themselves.

I think Wish You Were Here is much greater than Dark Side (obviously.). None of the Floyd albums sound alike, the second half of Dark Side in my opinion is just boring, Speak To Me, Breathe, On The Run just takes too long and feels like build up songs.

Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell are still on my no-no list.

Alright list you have there. Glad to see Meddle is up there, same with Ummagumma.
Mooneh is offline   Reply With Quote