Music Banter - View Single Post - most disappointing gig
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zer0

Although it still wasn't a bad gig, the most disappointing gig I've been to was Iron Maiden six years ago. Wait wait Maiden? Disappointing? Unfortunately yes just a little bit. I'd already seen them a couple of years before and they were absolutely amazing so my expectations were riding very high on this. My friends and I got to the gig early and queued for hours in the freezing cold so we could get a good spot near the front, which we most certainly did.

There were two support acts. First was Lauren Harris, daughter of Steve Harris. Although she is a beauty and I'd certainly lay a bit of pipe in her, her brand of boring, dated hard-rock didn't exactly set the place alight. Next up were Trivium, whom I couldn't give a flying fuck about. I decided to go moshing during their set just to keep myself amused, I had no interest in actually listening to them.

Maiden were touring A Matter Of Life and Death, which was a good album but it couldn't hold a torch to their classic albums. I was expecting them to play a handful of songs off the new album and belt out plenty of classics. But instead they decided to play the entire album from start to finish which took up the majority of their set. People were into it at first but seemed to lose interest after a while. On top of that the sound in the venue, the old Point Theatre in Dublin (now the O2), was terrible and you could just about make out what songs they were playing. I was dying for them to play some older material, and they did just that with a few classics at the end of the set and of course they brought out Eddie. The gig ended on a high but it took a long time to get there, I went away with a strange feeling of having seen a good gig but really wanting more.