Music Banter - View Single Post - One Hit Wonders - List your favorite one hit wonder songs and artist(s)
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #26 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli View Post
^ Ha, well I'm glad to have reminded you of it! I find that one hit wonders are really hard to remember the song/band names sometimes just because they show up and disappear and we never hear from them again. I guess for that reason a lot of people find it easy to associate specific memories with them...

edit: oh and yeah I would definitely say Blur and the Verve were one-hit wonders over here... They were both huge in the UK though. Same with Oasis, but I'd have a harder time considering them a one-hit wonder in the US just because Wonderwall AND Champagne Supernova were pretty popular...and maybe a few of their other songs. They're probably the most tricky to place because Americans see them either as a one-hit wonder or a beatles cover band, but in the UK you kind of can't escape hearing the names Liam and Noel Gallagher. xD
One of my all time favorite "Legend in The UK/One-Hit in The US" songwriters is Marc Bolan, who's only known Stateside for "Get It On" AKA on the US Top 40 as "Bang a Gong (Get It On)," but known in The UK and other places for his mountain of great music. Sadly, Powerstation's Loud as the 80's Can Get cover is better known where I'm at...

From my day, I can vote for a lot of similar musicians. Talk Talk are only known in The US by 80's music fans for "It's My Life," although the cover by No Doubt (which is not in my favorites) took over. Talk Talk's better work, especially the Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock, have to be fully explained by me in order to show that they were beyond very good Synth Pop.

Many great "Garage Bands" of The 60's get my vote - The Standells, The Seeds, Count Five, and many more (You could consider The 13'th Floor Elevators' "You're Gonna Miss Me" a one-hit, even though it's best known Retro-wise. It almost made the Top 40 on original release, although it was a Top 10 in some Texas cities, Detroit, and I think even San Francisco). The Music Machine, one of the most adventurous bands of that time, had a big one-hit with "Talk Talk," certainly not to be confused with "Talk Talk" by Talk Talk (ha ha!).
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote