Music Banter - View Single Post - Is a synthesizer limited to the sounds it has onboard?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
mwtzzz
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by westrock View Post
this thing has piano sounds obviously so I can learn my initial goal, but after that can it be used to play "new" sounds like if I have software on my computer and the synth is just providing key press signals?
Yes, in this case the keyboard is a "midi controller" and the you would have to have what's called "soft synth" on your computer.

Quote:
Or can you upload new libraries to a synth? If you could point me to a good primer on how a synth and MIDI can be used that would be great.
So when it comes to synthesizers you have a basic set of waveforms that are built in and you may think of these as the "engine" providing the basic sounds. You can "tune" this engine, but you cannot change the waveforms. You can modify and shape the basic sounds, but you cannot create new waveforms. This means you adjust the built in sounds, but you cannot for example create a new "organ" sound if there is no "organ" waveform to begin with.

A good book on synthesizers is this: Welsh's synthesizer cookbook, by Fred Welsh
mwtzzz is offline   Reply With Quote