Music Banter - View Single Post - One Hit Wonders - List your favorite one hit wonder songs and artist(s)
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #34 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappyjenkins View Post

I'll go ahead and warn you....you're about to be Rick Rolled! Now someone else can tell me is Rick Astley another case of one hit wonder here in the states but a success elsewhere?

rick astley - never gonna give you up (HD) - YouTube
A classic case of a iconic debut hit turning into the only song anyone remembers. "Together Forever" was also a US #1...and I still feel the pain.

He had a little more success in The US after "Never Gonna Give You Up" SAW-ed into the Top 3, but then again who remembers "Cry for Help?" His first three albums were Top 40 in The States...then again I'm sure that most copies wound up in Salvation Army stores by 1995. His 1993 album Body and Soul had a few counted sales in The States when the rest of the world dumped him right out as "Hopelessly" turned into his last US hit. At best, you can say that he broke through after his SAW years, and that he did have a like of Soul music that saved his recordings from being totally 80's Bubble Music (A cover of "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" being a very small hit.)

As you can tell, my Post-High School years were already Rick Rolled.

Last edited by Screen13; 11-27-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote