Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Who Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #190 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
I can't say I LOVE the Who all that much. Good band, very creatively ambitious, but most of the music doesn't move me so much. Who's Next is their best set of songs by a cakewalk.
^ This. However, I do feel The Who have created a handful of great songs.

Today I was trying to think of more songs from the '80s that I like, when I finally remembered "You Better You Bet," which I didn't recall was by The Who. I always enjoy this song because I am amused by its humor. The song also sounds pretty and even beautiful at times to me...fresh, honest, and real.

Then I realized I couldn't remember many other songs by the Who that I like. I can think of some that are meh or that I hate with a passion (like "Who Are You?"). Yet it was harder to remember songs that please me.

After listening to a few of those YouTube videos that provide the starts of 25 songs in a total of only 6 minutes (yeah!), I made my list of the few songs by The Who that I enjoy. Here it is:

1. "You Better You Bet" (1981)
2. "My Generation"
3. "Baba O'Riley"
4. "Won't Get Fooled Again"
5. ? ? ? (If I recall or find other Who songs I like, I'll add them)

"You Better You Bet" -- I like this song very much due to its sound (especially beautiful at the beginning), meaning, humor, and associations -- I associate it with a particular time in my life. I like the song even though it breaks the cardinal rule of songwriting: Never, never, never, never, never rhyme "life" with "knife"!! (Shudder.) However, that flaw is counterbalanced by the delightful "your dog keeps licking my nose," which redeems the lyrics.

Hey, I just learned on Wikipedia that this was the 4th song to be played on MTV after its 1981 launch, and "You Better You Bet" was also the first video to be shown on MTV more than once!

The Who - You Better You Bet - YouTube
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 11-30-2012 at 09:16 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote