Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan Vs Neil Young
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #152 (permalink)
variationVlad
Groupie

I don't listen to much Neil Young to be honest, but Dylan is the best songwriter of all time.
His songs are aesthetically brilliant, so that you don't need to dissect them to enjoy them.
His meanings are subtle and don't bash you over the head, like some of the Neil Young songs I've heard. I mean some of his songs are just lyrically incredible. He is a poet who is also a talented musician. Listen to Subterranean homesick blues, Desolation Row, Rollin' Stone, Knockin' on heavens door. All impeccable, flawless songs that are some of the best ever.

And to people saying that Neil Young has more variation, Yes he may do, but it seems like it was him desperately struggling to move with the times and be in with the hip crowd, whereas Dylan made the music he wanted when he wanted, regardless of what other people said. So on strength of Character, you have to go with Dylan. He made the music he wanted, even if it wasn't popular. How many times has Dylan lost 90% of his fan base and then gained it back, as well as new fans? At least 3 times.

His new material is praised almost as much as his classic stuff. He has played in a few different genres and made them his own.

I'll take Dylan everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Last edited by variationVlad; 11-30-2012 at 03:03 PM.
variationVlad is offline   Reply With Quote