Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Religious/Political Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 05:35 PM   #134 (permalink)
jibber
Freeskier

Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...

^ thank's for pointing out something that hopefully not many people overlook, that the government doesn't reflect the views and apsirations of the general public. I've been to many other countries around the world, including the middle east, though not recently, but I do have many friends who are living in and around Saudi Arabia. All of them have said that for the most part, the majority of Saudi's that they encounter do not have warm feelings towards the american governemtn, or their own government, but they realize that the people in power do not reflect the general public. And yes, I have stated that Saudi Arabia is home to some of the most anti-american sentiments, and I still stand by that. However, the people voicing these sentiments, and worse, acting on them, are in the minority, unfortunately, it is from them that we hear the most. Just like people in that part of the world hear more of Bush declaring war against the "evil-doers" and the terrorists than the citizens of the US, we in North America only hear the opinions of the terrorists, and only see the actions of the fanatics. What we don't see is an entire country of suffering people, who's main concern is simply how to get through another day with an oppressive, corrupt regime controling every aspect of their daily lives.
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote