Music Banter - View Single Post - Tips for a beginner singer
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekn4 View Post
Go on you tube, there is every singing excercise lesson under the sun, just practice and work on breathing, all else fails.....autotune
Sure, if you want to be a complete ****ing hack...

Autotune is for fixing the occasional mistake in an otherwise good take. As far as I'm concerned, if you can't sing it, and you're not practicing to be ABLE to sing it, you shouldn't be singing it.

Anything further than that (such as deliberate extreme autotune effects) should only ever be undertaken under strict guidance.

IN ANY CASE

Actual advice: Find somewhere you can be loud, go there a lot, and sing along to songs. It doesn't matter if you suck at first, you're GOING to suck at first. I have a reasonable voice myself, and it was developed, not a natural talent. And the way I developed it was just to stick headphones on and sing while I walked home from school or around town. The more you do it the better you'll get.

Another good thing to do is to throw yourself curveballs and be stupid with it. Sing random styles and have fun with them. Hell, MAKE fun of them. I imitate all sorts of singing styles and ham it up all the time. I sing female vocal parts in falsetto all the time. It doesn't sound anything like the recording, and sometimes its great other times awful, but the more you simply screw around with your voice and try and do different ****, the more you'll learn about how your voice works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 11-30-2012 at 04:33 PM.
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote