Music Banter - View Single Post - Conspiracy in Music - stolen songs, love triangles, murder, scandals
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappyjenkins View Post
I know what you guys are saying about sampling and chord progressions. It doesn't change the fact that Coldplay has lawsuitS, with an S, out against them. It also doesn't change the fact that Vanilla Ice sampling Under Pressure and then coming out and denying it became a bit of a scandal. I didn't make that MTV interview where he was basically forced to address the situation. I didn't make Milli Vanilli lip sync and accept a GRAMMY for it. What you are saying does not change the fact that these are controversies and scandals in the music industry. True these things happen and often nothing at all is said about it. We're concentrating on the events in music history that turned out to be scandalous. Milli Vanilli, Vanilla Ice, and Coldplay fall into that category.

Sampling IS a huge resource for hip hop music...hell artists are now sampling music that came out barely a year ago sometimes...but what added to Vanilla Ice's problem was HAMMER was confronted on his sampling and he came right out very quickly and said 'yeah this is sampled from Rick James'...didn't argue, didn't try to withhold credit....and RVWinkle comes out and says 'yeah we might have sampled queen, but really it aint the same, so we ain't gonna give them credit'. I believe this one fault cause the whole thing to even become a bit of controversy. If he had done like Hammer then we probably would have never said another word about it then, or now in this conversation.

EDIT: and about coldplay? they are doing this so much that it gets to a point where you feel like they are 'Intentional Re-offenders'...and that's hard to defend. Yeah one similar chord progression that kind of sounds like something from twenty years ago, ok whatever, but when you have 7 or 8 songs that are complete rip-offs....sorry its hard to defend you at that point Coldplay...stop steal other people's music
I agree. I just didn't think this discussion was about personal ethics, but rather legal ethics.