Music Banter - View Single Post - Conspiracy in Music - stolen songs, love triangles, murder, scandals
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger ? View Post
I think this song pretty much encapsulates everything being discussed. And was released around the same time as the whole Milli Vanilli thing...

It was originally made by an Italian DJ for the clubs, it picked up a lot of attention and was eventually put out by a record company who hired a French Model to 'front' the band and went on to top the charts in every country it was released in .... except for the U.S.
See, this is an odd one in this context. Americans generally give the OK to produced music videos, expecting that the performance aspect doesn't really come into play unless it's a "live" video or actual performance.
I can't presume to know the wider opinion of this sort of thing in the '80s, as I was a bit oppressed back then, but I can't imagine that it would have been too much different.
The only thing I could posit is that Americans saw it as some sort of "fakery", whilst unwittingly making mockeries of our own positions on produced performances that directly represented the very thing we were considering in distaste.

"Yea, I don't mind if the person in the video is not actually singing the song... BUT **** ME IF IT'S A DIFFERENT CHICK NOT ACTUALLY SINGING THE SONG!"

That's what I get out of that.