Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #333 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappyjenkins View Post
Oh my gosh Vegan you've inspired me to post some of my poetry on here. I don't know how you do it! It's scary to me! I'm worried someone is going to say man are you stupid or what? I have problems with spelling and anglish in general anyway. I hate grammar.

I've been looking through this massive thread at your work. You stay busy don't you????
slappy, I'd be happy to critique your poetry. I'll wait 'til later, though, when I've had more sleep...and also maybe you'll have decided by then to risk it and make your own thread! EDIT: I see you already did!

I understand what you mean about poems forcing themselves to the surface, such as when you realized you and your girlfriend should continue on separate paths and you wrote about your feelings to show them to her.

You said you feel the idea of posting your poetry publicly is scary to you, and you wonder what gives me the nerve to post what I write.

I find that posting here inspires me to write more often and more carefully, and it also gives me ideas on what to write in the future, so posting has been beneficial for me. I like trying to think of things to post that might cause a response, and so posting encourages me to experiment. These benefits of "going public" offset any fears I might have.

Also, by the time I post something, I am always fairly contented with what I wrote (and I have checked the spelling! ), and so I don't worry about negative comments too much because the person I am really trying to please is myself. If I'm satisfied with my writing, then I can handle other people's dislike of it.

Most people who comment give constructive criticism, which is helpful. And if someone hates what I have written and uses it as a reason to feel I am stupid, then that would also be useful to know...because that would mean I must have hit *some* sort of nerve! If I want to write lyrics or music that people like (and sometimes I do), then I need to find out what they hate as well as what they enjoy. (And if I want to write something that people hate, that information is also useful. )

More generally, I don't base much of my sense of self-worth on other people. And I remember that life is short. In 10,000 years, none of this will matter. So, I write what I want. I appreciate when people take their time to respond in any sort of fashion, because time is precious. So, thank you for responding and for sharing from your own life!

I'd say about posting more of your own poems, go for it, slappyjenkins. I'd enjoy reading more of your life distilled into words. I feel our thoughts and experiences are precious, and I love it when people post parts of themselves in their threads. I've seen how much you enjoy writing. You are bursting with thoughts and feelings. Your enthusiasm inspires *me*. Ideally, that's what a forum like this does: it encourages people to improve their craft (however they wish to) and have fun doing so.

I find that writing is fun to do even if I am the only person who will ever view the result...but we are social beings and I think we are really motivated by connecting in some way with other people. If sharing your poetry online gives you even just a small feeling of connection with others, then I feel it is worth the risk that comes with self-exposure.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 12-01-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Moving sentences around to make shorter paragraphs!
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote