Music Banter - View Single Post - Critique my poetry please! Thinking of publishing need honest opinions.
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
slappyjenkins
Music Addict

*oh the ugly baby clip....hilarious to no end....

here is what I was going through when each of these came out...

--------------
Thinking of you *A good friend of mine had just graduated, was on her way to realizing her dream of being an oceanographer/marine biologist, and her first stop...Kroatia...don't ask me why lol, but we decided to be pen pals...and this little hall mark of a thing popped out and I thought it was too cute to lose
I'll write a poem
I'll write a letter
I'll look them over
and send the better

I'll send the one
with the most heartfelt meaning
The sweetest words
and the warmest feeling

hmm about the S, let's try it that way and see how it sits....-----

---
Blue Eyes - everyone likes this one, you ever been in one of those relationships where it just seems you can not get over the hump? You like everything about the person and you'd love to make that 'connection'. But you can feel things drifting apart and you know if you keep drifting you'll wake up one day on either side of a huge chasm...this was that relationship and this is how I felt about it...I'll just think about you, but I know its over and will never be again....the line 'wake and look for you' was something very personal and symbolic...she was away for business for a few days and I woke up startled one night and for some reason I really had that feeling of 'looking for her' like she should have been right next to me, I had even almost started talking to her before I fully woke and realized she wasn't there, well she called me from her hotel in Chicago about two minutes later and said she had just woke up 'looking for me'...needless to say that line of the poem was really special to both of us

I'll sit outside every night and look for you
in the sky, in the stars, in the face of the moon
I'll see you in life's grandest mysteries ..hmmm let's see how that goes
and think of you quite endlessly
I'll long for you
when the nights are still
I'll wake and look for you
I always will
I may love others
but never like I loved you
I'll hold my children
and hug them and love them
I hope their eyes are blue you guessed it...her eyes were blue
---------------
Three Words here i was challenged to write a love poem. Something from the heart. And I as I sat down and thought and thought, I had that overwhelming feeling of 'If I write another f**ing 'I LOVE YOU' poem I'm gonna be a sell out. What would any guy truthfully say if he just blurted out what he wanted.

three little words
and what they mean to me
three little words
handed down through history
three little words
every guy tells his girl
three little words
heard all 'round the world
three little words
you might say in the park
three little words
you might say in the dark
three little words
you might say at the movies
three little words
I... want....boobies
-----

Love is good medicine -- my very good friend, (not quite a girlfriend, even though we fooled around on occasion, yeah don't ask me how that works, we're animals), was very sick and I took of from work for two days to sit with her...and I did silly things like hand puppets and jokes to make her laugh and I held her while she was shaking and feverish, and I got cold towels and tylenol for her, and one thing I did was write this silly poem which she loved...and guess what she did later...at a point where it looked like we might be something she got involved with another guy...invited me to McDonalds of all places to tell me...I thought it was an innocent lunch and she starts to break out with 'I've met someone'...my thought to this day is, ok that's cool, it's your life, but...'You had to tell me at McDonald's????'

kisses kisses and warm wet wishes These lines represented my feelings and actions
for your nose your toes
your knees and elbows

hugs hugs and pharmacuetical drugs These lines represented the tylenol and other pills
for your uppers your downers
your infections and frowners

It made her happy while she was sick. That's all that matters.
--

Untitled #29 Never titled this one, and the title that stuck was just some random number, there are no Untitled 1-28 to go along with this....this poem popped out of me while thinking really hard about what to do in a relationship....it wasn't going anywhere. We kept TALKING about what we'd do together, but she would never make that comittment. But she would TALK and TALK and TALK. And my subconcious response to that was this poem. Because I do think talking is important, I do think that feeling and pondering is important. I'm not downplaying that, but at some point you have to DO something or everything else is just words. Well when push came to shove and I started to pull away she didn't stop me, so I saw what I feared, that she was full of dookie.

Life is moving on
and I must move with it
Because life isn't what you
think or feel or say feelings and words ARE importantits what you do but sometimes backing those thoughts are words are more importantand how you live it and to me this is the true indication of how you live your life and represent yourself to the world
---------------------

---
paths that never meet --this one is my personal favorite. I was in a serious relationship with a girl, but she was hung up on TWO other guys from her past, and she just ran me into the ground with it. So I wrote this while we were still TOGETHER, we broke up right after, but I think the poem got my feelings across better than any conversation ever could have...the entire thing represents exactly what it seems...that feeling of never connecting, paths never crossing, you are always over there and I'm always over here...

Winding winding winding
at times so close
but destined never to meet

There is a path made for you
And one made for me

Around and over and back and still
winding through the trees
and winding through the hills

Two seperate lives
going their seperate ways

Sharing only memories
If only for today

I think our paths meet
on the road up ahead
But they are once again
diverging instead

Maybe this is all we'll ever be
two seperate paths
that never quite meet
----
I'll love you from afar - this just randomly spawned itself in my mind while I was thinking about my life..I thought about all the wasted years of my life and how folks had let me down, and I started missing people, but not missing them but missing what they could have been...so the poem has a hidden meaning...its not that you are AFAR, or I'm resigned that its over...the poem means 'As my life goes on I'll think of what you COULD HAVE BEEN and I'll miss that, because what you turned out to be was really really toxic and corrosive in my life -- the AFAR is more of a personal choice...you are over there and I am not going near you' -- and I know instantly when people see this they think, aww this is so cute, I like it because people with differing life experience can interpret it in different ways, as I have done

As my life goes by I'll think of you
And wonder how you are...
I'll sit quietly and remember you
And love you from afar
---------

These selections of poems may indicate that I quit on people. It's not true. I've given all my time and energy, all my love...and never gotten it back in return. No one has ever fixed my teeth, bought me cars, lent me thousands of dollars, I've gone to see people in the hospital, sit with them for days while they were sick. I was sick sometimes. I had the flu....the REAL flu....for five days I crawled around my house sipping juice and trying to CRAWL to the toilet. No one was there with me.

I guess I'm tired of moving mountains in the physical world and the emotional world and having the misfortune of being involved with people who wouldn't even spit on me if I was on fire. I deserve respect. I deserve someone to move mountains for me.

^See that, that's where some of those lines come from.

Last edited by slappyjenkins; 12-02-2012 at 03:42 PM.
slappyjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote