Music Banter - View Single Post - The Best Game Of All Time
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #94 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
I definitely agree with your opinion, although I don't really thinking saying "basically making Xbox Live what it is." is a compliment. I mean it's a financial success, but holy shit it has to have the single worst user base of all time. Nothing like having a 14 year old tell me all the foul things he's done to my mother, and while I know the option to mute mics is available, it really doesn't actually solve the problem.

Fat, Ugly or Slutty

I know not everybody on Xbox Live are like the people from that website, but there are really no repercussions for the harassment people experience (usually women) while they try to game. It makes me curious how many women actually cancel their Xbox Live membership, and there's no reason for Microsoft not to do something about it.

I dunno, I'm pretty biased against multiplayer because it seems like only a few games come around each year that excel in the story department. I can't help but notice this shift started around the point when multiplayer started to get really popular, like around 2004-2005 with the rise of Xbox Live.

What bugs me the most is I wonder how many of these people who sexually harass women are under the age of 18, as children and teenagers are more likely to have a console. I mean what would their parents think if they found out their 13 year old messaged a female player that he was going to rape her? Dig deep enough on that website and you'll find those examples, and not only the horrible implications of an emerging generation of misogynistic men, and this just seems to be completely ass backwards. I know it's the anonymity that makes people be complete assholes online, but the implications that this could have on the future is kind of frightening.

/preach

I agree, his list is mostly shit.
I guess I should've said "for better or for worse, Halo 2 has made Xbox live what it is". And I personally would go with worse also.

As for console online multiplayer, I don't touch it unless I'm playing with friends and I hate the shift towards multiplayer-centric content as well. It's making me seriously consider getting a gaming PC and ditching consoles altogether, because with online gaming came day one DLC and all that other nonsense.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote