Music Banter - View Single Post - Family Guy vs. South Park
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #459 (permalink)
slappyjenkins
Music Addict

This is a hard question to answer and I think it depends on the episode they play in any given week. When south park isn't being preachy or political it can be funny as hell. The sarcasta ball episode and the halloween episode where randy bought a blockbuster were both funny. Now that being said I haven't really appreciated Southpark in ages. Matt and Trey got all high and mighty and started pushing agendas very heavily and I couldn't stomach it. Whenever the show concentrates on putting the characters in funny situations and having them work things out in ridiculous ways and make fun of themselves in the process Southpark is superior, but when they put the boys in the middle of an agenda and make fun of the older characters around them in an obvious pandering way then it gets preachy and I switch the channel.

The Simpsons have stayed the same nearly the entire 20+ years. Their episodes are not really any better or worse and you have to sift through to get to the gems. But I haven't been into them in a while either.

Family Guy is by far better than its ever been. The animation is better, the voice work is better, the comedic writing and timing is far far superior than its earlier years. Put on a season 1,2,3 episode side by side with an episode from the last 3 years...the quality goes up in every way. When I look at the earlier episodes I can see why FG was cancelled. Most the characters had to evolved too. I couldn't stand year 1 stewie, now he's my favorite adult cartoon character on tv right now. Stewie went through the mad scientist phase, the gay phase, the 'I'm in love' with a new girl every episode phase, now he's just Stewie, a self depricating and gullable baby with a dog for a friend. I think Stewie developing a caring relationship with Brian helped that show. I remember in the earlier years when Bryan decided to move away Stewie came out and SPIT IN HIS FACE. And in recent years when Stewie thought Brian was going to die he started crying and slobbered all over Brian and said 'What will I do without you, I love you.' I love the way the characters have evolved on FG.

Family guy grabs my attention more than south park for now, so my vote is on Family Guy. With that being said Southpark, Simpson, American Dad, even the Cleveland Show all have golden moments if you look for them. I can't watch one second of Super Jail or King of the hill, or squidbillies. That's pure trash, nothing of value in any way.
slappyjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote