Music Banter - View Single Post - Family Guy vs. South Park
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #463 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappyjenkins View Post
^^ hey that's cool...I still stick to my guns, early episodes of FG to me are so slow and the jokes are spaced so far apart and the comedic timing is off in every aspect(to me)...and I couldn't stand any of the characters. Stewie was a very dry mad scientist and his only purpose in the whole show was to kill Lois and his manner of speech was unbearable. If old Stewie saw this post he'd say 'That intermidable miscreant does not know the depts of sorrow I shall dispense on his person.' Stewie of today would say 'Wha??? Wha??? He used to think I was stupid? Waaaaa waaaa Brian come look on the internet waaaaa' Then he'd fall down the stairs running with the laptop trying to find Brian and the laptop would be buried in his head. Complete change in the writing and timing.

I can't stand to watch early episode at all. But that's just my opinion and it differs with yours and thats cool.

Hey I'll bring the last 3 seasons over and you have the first 3 ready and we'll have a sleepover and eat popcorn and watch FG and talk about boys...I mean GIRLS...i said girls...you all saw it!!
See, I agree with you on Stewie's character, fair enough. But step back a little. Who else has developed? Peter is as stupid, assinine and borderline retarded as he ever was (sure one episode he was rejoicing in the fact that he WAS retarded); Meg has gone absolutely nowhere, apart from her stint in prison, which was funny but didn't carry through after that episode. Brian is almost the very same (STILL trying to write the GAN) and Lois has stood still in time. Chris was never funny or interesting in any way.

Even the support cast: Joe is still in a wheelchair but somehow a cop, Quagmire is still a sexual predator (AND a pilot; work that one out), Cleveland is gone thank god: he was never funny and even the creepy peado has been mostly written out of the series. If they were to start a new series with just Brian and Stewie it could work: the funniest episodes of the later seasons have been when those two team up and take over the episode, particularly their time travel and "Road to..." series. But take those two out of the equations, what have you?

A fat man who thinks he's funny and is most certainly not. He doesn't even GET that he's not funny, making it worse. He's basically the coathook to hang the plots on, but he's been becoming detached from the wall for a long time, and only S & B are holding him up, preventing him from falling.

A wife who is nothing more than Peter's sounding-board/straight man/occasional antagonist and the one who constantly gives out to him about everything he does. Essentially, she's Marge, and always has been.

A daughter who may as well not exist. Her only real contributions to or recognition in the show is when Peter throws some insult her way, or hits her.

A son who is almost as invisible as Meg. He does nothing, says nothing and is not even a younger Peter.

And a support cast who do exactly what you expect them to do, every episode without change. In the truest terms, they are supporters, as they never do anything of their own accord without Peter.

Still, I guess at least it's not American Dad!