Music Banter - View Single Post - In a universe of infinite space and time, is it possible for something to happen once
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
In an infinite universe they would had be already been shared once, and then repeatedly for all eternity - judging by what you said so far, right?
Many would probably argue that, in a universe of infinite space, time and perhaps one should add infinite matter so that there's a lot going on in that universe, there would have been or will be an infinite amount of Tores who share their thoughts on this topic on a website called musicbanter. I guess given infinity and all, one could argue that not only would there exist an infinite amount of Tores doing this seperated in time, but there would be an infinite amount of Tores doing it at the same time.

But I agree with you Neapolitan that at the core, physical laws dictate the nature of possibilities and ThePhanastasio might agree with me when I think that I am only doing this now. I won't exist millions of years in the future.

I think an infinite universe could be compared to an infinite sequence of numbers. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc. The number 1 will reappear an infinite amount of times backwards and forwards in the sequence (f.ex in the numbers -124, 315 or 1111), but the exact value of 1 will only appear once. So if you're wondering if 1 will reappear, it will, but it won't be the same 1.