Music Banter - View Single Post - Your most hated Christmas songs
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
The Big Dog

I dislike The Pouges's song because of the nasally grunting vocals, the mindless self-indulgence of the record and of those who herald it as something special.
It's not.

For years, it's been seen as the 'Alternative Christmas Anthem' but how does appearing on every ****ty MTV countdown of 'greatest christmas tunes' and every Now That's What I Call Christmas compilation make it an alternative to anything.

People listen to it because it's not merry and it represents everything that the festive time isn't supposed to be. Err, Hello there's an upbeat jig half way through the song with lyrics which I find highly objectionable giving our modern society and how frequently the song is played.

It's really grating as a track. Some guy who can't sing (no doubt everyone will say his voice is just 'different' but this argument doesn't seem to suffice for Elvis Costello on this forum) singing about an era he can't recall being a part of. He was probably kicking about, as an intoxicated child, who knows I couldn't be bothered Googling it, that's how much time I have for this song; very little.

I do not like it. It sucks.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote