Music Banter - View Single Post - Your most hated Christmas songs
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #55 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Can't be bothered to read the thread but has anyone mentioned The Pogues - Fairytale of New York yet?

Absolute dog **** of a tune. A pissed up, toothless degenerate without a note in his body and a faux Paddy bitch bickering about Christmas, for the next 3 weeks I will have to listen to the annoying 'once a year' lot stating how it's the best Christmas song and trying to sing the words after having had a half a lager too many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankycaaant View Post
I dislike The Pouges's song because of the nasally grunting vocals, the mindless self-indulgence of the record and of those who herald it as something special.
It's not.

For years, it's been seen as the 'Alternative Christmas Anthem' but how does appearing on every ****ty MTV countdown of 'greatest christmas tunes' and every Now That's What I Call Christmas compilation make it an alternative to anything.

People listen to it because it's not merry and it represents everything that the festive time isn't supposed to be. Err, Hello there's an upbeat jig half way through the song with lyrics which I find highly objectionable giving our modern society and how frequently the song is played.

It's really grating as a track. Some guy who can't sing (no doubt everyone will say his voice is just 'different' but this argument doesn't seem to suffice for Elvis Costello on this forum) singing about an era he can't recall being a part of. He was probably kicking about, as an intoxicated child, who knows I couldn't be bothered Googling it, that's how much time I have for this song; very little.

I do not like it. It sucks.
5* rant. Well done sir.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote