Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #337 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappyjenkins View Post
^^I have been looking over your work. And again thank you for the time you took to look over my poems. I treasure that input so very much. I wish I could get that across to you in the way it deserves. All I can say is ......thank you.

OMG spelling...I am the worst spellerer ever. And I hate grammar with a vicious passion. If grammar was a real person we'd be circling each other in an ancient colosseum fighting to the death. And I'd be like 'To who do you want me to notify upon your inevitable demise????' And he'd be like 'It's to whom you ass.' ..'Aw, you motherf***!' And spelling would be in the stands, 'Kick his ass!'...'You shut up spelling! You're next!'

I had to free myself of those worries long ago. I figure there are proof readers and enough spell correction that I can concentrate on my writing and let the creation come into the world. Now if you read my 'as of yet' published work and there's a line that says, 'And in the end he realized that it was Good's hand that directed his life.' Then you can blame spell checker for that!!!

And about sharing...shoot I want to be remembered for something and possibly make some cash along the way... SHALLOW ain't it? I hate to admit that in myself, but I've come to a point where I worry about what mark I'll leave on this world and I also have some expensive tastes that I need to indulge...her name is Candie...hehehe...just kidding, Candie isn't that expensive. Just kidding, there is no Candie, I made her up. Hey, I'm a writer you can't believe anything I say! I tend to make things up!

BUT as I was saying, I am going to return the favor and critique some of your peotry. I think I have to look through and take a one at a time approach. There's so much to look at!

Thank you my friend, I hope your day was lovely!
You're welcome for my time and my input on your poems. I'm glad to know it was helpful. I do feel time is precious, and my favorite way to double its length and value is to share it with someone else.

Slappy, you're not as bad of a spellerer as you think. I think your spelling is very god.

Your brave fight with your foe, Grammar, whom you circle and antagonize with your "to who's" as Spelling looks on, reminds me of a song I wrote called "Common Ground," which amuses me now when I imagine it to be about you: http://www.musicbanter.com/song-writ...tml#post780516.

I don't think wanting to be remembered for something and possibly make some cash along with way is shallow. I agree with this quote by Mark Sullivan: "To find a career to which you are adapted by nature, and then to work hard at it, is about as near to a formula for success and happiness as the world provides. One of the fortunate aspects of this formula is that, granted the right career has been found, the hard work takes care of itself. Then hard work is not hard work at all."

Even if writing isn't a career, having your work valued enough to make some money would be very satisfying and useful, in case Candie shows up.

Knowing that you want to make money from your writing does change some of my recommendations for you, though.

I think you might best achieve your goal of earning money through writing if you were to connect with someone (such as a reputable literary agent Fiction Factor - What is a Literary Agent? ) in the writing world to help you promote your work to the appropriate publisher and audience. Self-published poetry *may* reach a sizeable audience, if you are lucky, but I think many fine writers simply never get much notice because the world is flooded with poetry and poets wanting attention.

Since readers have limited time and funds, you need your work to come to their attention in a dramatic way to lure them to want to buy it.

I think for publishing to be successful, a writer requires a critical mass of people who are saying, "Hey! His stuff is good!" to cause others to want to read it. This is the reason that editors, literary agents, publishing companies, and promotion are so important. People are social animals and their perception of what is "good" and of "value" is often influenced by what other people (appear to) think of the work. Self-publishing is like a lone wolf howling in the wild. People may or may not listen. Now if you have a whole pack of wolves behind you howling, you'll likely garner more attention.

Here's a good example of why I feel promotion is so valuable. You've seen those videos of expert violinists playing beautifully in subway stations for free? Below is a video of Joshua Bell playing in a subway station. People walk on by, apparently unmoved and unappreciative, not knowing they're listening to one of the world's top-notch violinists. The same violinist, the night before, was able to fill a huge theater with tickets selling for $100 a pop.

charles hugh smith-Crowds Ignore World Renowned Violinist: What Does This Say?

Joshua Bell (violin virtuoso) "self-publishes" his violin-playing in a subway station.
Doesn't go well. Draws a tiny audience. Gets just a little bit of money.

Stop and Hear the Music - YouTube

Another thought I had about your goal of making money is that as you prepare to publish, I think you should edit your work ruthlessly. Throw out beloved poems that mean something to you but don't move other people.

This is one reason a public forum can be helpful: it gives you a chance to see which of your works gain positive attention. I think you have to balance that harsh critique of your own work against your desire to express your full humanity. Once you are famous, some people will be interested in *everything* about you...but until then, they will read your writing because it provides them with something (probably entertainment).

Finally, about wanting to be remembered: I understand what you mean, but I feel people tend to think about themselves much more than they think about anyone else (unless they are in love) and so even those who are "remembered" don't figure much in the everyday life of those who remember them. For example, I admire and remember Einstein, but I hardly ever think about him.

Your mentioning this issue reminds me of the time I was remembered that mattered most to me. I worked for several years at a domestic violence shelter, and one evening I danced in the living room to amuse and entertain a little girl who was staying at the shelter with her mom. A couple years later, the mother and I happened to meet by accident in public. She told me that her little girl still remembered the shelter because of that "nice, pretty woman who danced for her so beautifully."

I thought to myself, what a lovely way to be remembered: a child goes to a domestic violence shelter and of all the horrible things she might have remembered about that time, instead she has a happy memory of someone dancing for her...and that someone was me.

If any poem or song I wrote benefited another person like my dancing did for that little girl, then this would be wonderful and humbling. A real privilege that some aspect of myself affected a person's private life positively. Knowing that I had affected people's lives for the better would be the best part of being famous.

The second best part of being famous would be the revenge factor: I could go up to people who dissed me in high school or dismissed my worth at other times in life, and I could say, "Ha ha!" <-- How's THAT for shallow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappyjenkins View Post
Free” Lyrics by Erica

I’m waiting, hoping you’ll shed the cross you bear.
I’m wishing, yearning you’ll treat yourself with care.
Take from your lovely mouth that cigarette.
Put down your glass. I don’t want to lose you yet. all of these first lines are so very powerful. I remember saying those exact words ' I don't want to lose you yet.' so many times.'

I’m waiting, hoping you’ll treasure that you live.
I’m wishing, yearning you’ll take the love I give.
Let your pain out when you feel it’s no use.
Don’t turn it inward in self-abuse. Can't put my finger on it, but this series of lines doesn't seem to speak to me as much as the first. Still great lines, just can't tell what's wrong.

Stand wingless with me. I guess this was supposed to be 'naked' and you had to change it? The re-wording is meant to say 'sober up, don't be high?' just guessing. It's a bit awkward only because when I first see that stand wingless with me, it takes a second for my mind to process this to make sense to me
Let yourself be free.

I’m waiting, hoping you’ll come to the door.
I’m wishing you’ll see life offers you more.
Breathe out those burdens. Inhale the sunset sky.
Walk the horizon line. Find a natural high. again, very powerful, as people with substance abuse often become shut-ins...they no longer go out or have happiness with life

Stand wingless with me.
Let yourself be free.

I’m waiting, hoping you’ll take the gift I bring.
It’s free and it’s yours. I don’t want anything.
When life drags you down, please give yourself a choice.
I’ll listen. We’ll shoot the breeze. Just use your voice. this is very genuine and heartlfelt, a sign of true friendship and caring,

Stand wingless with me.
Let yourself be free.

Well here is my first critique for you. This really got to me. About 3 months ago I had a close friend die who had substance abuse problems for years. She got drunk and fell down her back steps and broke her neck.

She is finally not suffering anymore. She's not a slave to her addiction anymore. Sometimes the sadness is overwhelming.

It is such a fine line to walk when dealing with someone who is battling a mental disease or substance abuse. For me, I finally told her, you need to get control over this or I can't be around you. She said she didn't want to lose me as a friend, but she never slowed down drinking. It got to a point where she would get up and open a beer. Within 5 minutes of being awake! And spend the entire day getting drunk. I guess I feel guilt...I feel like I should have been more forceful or more persistant. I just don't know what else I could have done, and now I'll never get the chance. She's gone.
I'm very sorry your friend died so needlessly and so avoidably...avoidably, if only she hadn't been addicted to alcohol. The problem is that she wasn't in control. Her addiction was.

Slappyjenkins, I feel there is nothing you could have done to stop your friend from feeding her addiction unless she was ready to stop herself...which probably requires first hitting rock bottom (losing job, family, friends, and health), if the addicted person doesn't die first.

I'm also sorry you were put in that horrible position of wanting to help your friend when staying close to her might have meant you were enabling her to drink (by making it easier for her not to face the consequences), and you would have had to suffer through watching her descent, which could be unbearable.

I'm thinking now of a depressing movie, "Leaving Las Vegas," that deals with that issue of leaving vs. staying with an alcoholic friend who lives only to drink. Another very good movie about alcoholism is "Days of Wine and Roses." I recommend this movie if you haven't seen it yet, Slappy, because it shows someone having to make that hard choice you did.

I can understand your feeling of guilt, especially since your friend said that she didn't want to lose you...but you did a beautiful thing, which was tell her your honest feelings (you couldn't be around her if she was drinking). Accepting someone's drinking is *not* going to make that person get better. Also, not being able to be around her when she was drinking didn't mean you didn't care about her.

I've very sorry that she died and that you lost your friend.

Thank you so much for your critique of my song lyrics for "Free"!

I agree with you about the second stanza not being as strong as the others. Like I mentioned in your thread, I think perhaps this is due to that stanza's lack of imagery.

Your response to my use of the metaphor "wingless" interested me. Metaphors *do* require an extra step of thought to make the connection between the words and their meaning. This is one reason that I have avoided obvious metaphors in most of my songs: I want the songs to be immediately understandable. Sometimes I think that lack of depth makes them too dull.

I did choose "stand wingless with me" to refer to my wish that the friend would no longer be high. I also picked "wingless" because "wings" is slang for heroin. ("Stand naked with me" had already been used in someone else's song. It turns out I liked "wingless" better anyway.) I tried to saturate the song with drug slang and references to appease my love of literary depth but still leave the meaning of the lyrics clear: "(great) bear (fentanyl), glass (alcohol & heroin), breathe, inhale, line (cocaine), drag, use."

Thank you again for your critique! I will get to your final post later.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote