Music Banter - View Single Post - Is pride illogical?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
**** you.

Don't blame me, free will doesn't exist.

I didn't mean that.

My point is, whether free will exists or not is irrelevant. We have to assume it exists to have any form of meaningful reaction to each other as people. You're also separating our "choice" from our neurons "choice" I would argue they are one and the same. But it is a bit of a moral dilemma. A recent study showed that an mri can accurately "predict" what choice you're going to make (left or right) up to 6 seconds before you're even aware you've made one.
Why? Prison and the like have never been about blame and punishment, it's about keeping people who make society a less pleasant place off the streets for the betterment of humanity as a whole. That's all morality is. stealing is only wrong because it makes society a less functional place, so it has been indoctrinated in us not to do so. Generally accepted morality is determined by how it affects society at large, right?

I would argue that our neurons are not a choice, but a reaction. Choice is the feeling of empowerment that we chose (yeah I used the word in the definition, DEAL WITH IT) something independent of any previously existing factor imo.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote